Carteret County Register of Deeds can provide copies of death certificates for individuals whose death occurred within Carteret County.
Out Of County Deaths: The Carteret County Register of Deeds Office may also supply death certificates for individuals who passed after August 1st, 2020 within the state of North Carolina.
Applicants must appear in person at the Register of Deeds Office. In addition to the $10 certified copy fee, a search fee of $14 is charged in order to retrieve certificates from another county. Fees may be paid by cash, credit/debit, money order or cashier's check. Out of county death certificates cannot be requested online or via mail and may only be issued if the following criteria are met:
- Death must have occurred in North Carolina
- Death must have occurred after August 1st, 2020
For death certificates for those who have passed outside the state of North Carolina, contact the county/state where the individual passed away.
Certified copies of certifications are available only to the following people:
- Deceased person's spouse, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, stepparent, or stepchild
- A person seeking information for a legal determination of personal or property rights
- An authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of a person described above
Request a Certified Copy
In Person Requests:
To obtain a certified copy of a vital record in person you may come into our office located at 302 Courthouse Square, Beaufort, NC 28516. When requesting a certified copy of a vital record in office, you must complete a request form and present a government issued photo I.D.
To obtain a birth, death and/or marriage certificate online please visit Carteret County Online Vital Record Request website. Please note additional processing fees apply when requesting certified copies online.
To request a copy via mail:
- Submit a written request: Must include the full name of the deceased, date of death, your relation to the deceased, and a contact number.
- A photo copy of your valid government issued photo ID
- A self-addressed stamped envelope
- A money order or cashier's check for $10 made payable to the Carteret County Register of Deeds.
- Form available here.