Preparing Children For Emergencies
Include your children in planning for an emergency. Teach them how to get help and what to do in different situations. Practice your household disaster plan with your children and quiz them about preparedness information.
What Every Child Should Know
- Family name, address and phone number, and know where to meet in case of an emergency. Children too small to memorize this could carry a small index card that lists emergency information. You could clip it to their shirt or place it in a pocket;
- Family contact information for use in an emergency;
- Never to touch wires lying on the ground or hanging from poles;
- How to identify the smell of gas. Tell them that if they smell it, they should tell a grown-up or leave the building;
- How and when to call 911.
Information About Your Child's School or Day Care Facility
- Find out what your child's school does in the event of an emergency and know the school's emergency plans;
- Find out where can you pick up your child during an evacuation;
- Ensure that the school has up-to-date contact information for you and at least one other relative or friend;
- Find out if you can authorize a friend or relative to pick up your children in an emergency if you cannot.
Pack A Go Bag
Pack child care supplies as well as games and small toys in your family's Go Bag.
While disasters may cause apprehension for adults, they often affect children more seriously. Children may grow uneasy when they don't know what to expect. They may be especially upset if they have to leave their home and daily routine. You can help children cope by understanding what causes their anxieties and fears. Reassure them with firmness and love.
ResourcesReady Kids http://www.ready.gov/kids
Weather WizKids http://www.weatherwizkids.com
Sesame Street Let’s Get Ready http://www.sesamestreet.org/parents/topicsandactivities/toolkits/ready
Mighty Kids Media-Danger Rangers http://www.dangerrangers.com
Kids Guide to Tornadoes http://www.airoasis.com/knowledgebase/kids-guide-to-tornadoes
Emergency Preparedness in School - http://www.accreditedschoolsonline.org/resources/emergency-preparedness-in-school/
Kid's Guide to Building a Disaster Supply Kit - https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.com/Kid-s-Guide-to-Building-a-Disaster-Supply-Kit-s/1907.htm