Carteret County Flood Information
North Carolina Emergency Management released the New Preliminary Flood Maps for Carteret County digitally on June 30, 2016.
For additional information please contact NCEM Floodplain Mapping Outreach Coordinator at 919-825-2339 or Carteret County Planning & Development at 252-728-8545.
The IT Department / GIS Division has developed a web app to allow citizens to easily compare the current effective and preliminary flood maps affecting Carteret County. County GIS Flood Map Changes Web App.
The dominant source of flooding in Carteret County North Carolina is wind-driven storm surge in association with Hurricanes, Tropical Storms, and Nor'easters. Approximately 33% (22,179) of Carteret County's total population of 66,469 people live within a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), while approximately 47% (166,120 acres) of Carteret County's total land area lies within the SFHA. Additionally, 24% of critical facilities and 39% of road miles (569 miles) are located within the SFHA.
Carteret County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program's (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS). The CRS is a voluntary incentive program that recognizes and encourages sound community floodplain management through the implementation of activities that exceed the minimum NFIP requirements.
As a result of Carteret County's implementation of these activities and participation in the CRS, Unincorporated Carteret County is designated as a Class 7 Community. Flood insurance premiums in Class 7 communities are discounted 15% for properties within the SFHA and 5% for properties located outside of the SFHA.
Carteret County maintains copies of elevation certificates for all new construction and and substantial improvements and provides flood information services such as basic FIRM information, historical flood information, natural floodplain functions, and provides assistance with letter of map amendments/letter of map revisions. Carteret County also provides advice on how to protect your property from flooding, as well as advice on hurricane preparedness and flood education.
The County also requires higher regulatory standards through the implementation of the Carteret County Flood Damage Prevention and Protection Ordinance.
Please contact a Carteret County Floodplain Manager at (252) 728-8545 or (252) 222-5833 to determine whether or not your property is located within the SFHA and to receive technical advice on how to protect your buildings from flooding.
- April 2015 Changes to NFIP and Flood Insurance Premiums
- April 2015 Changes to the NFIP
- April 2018 & January 2019 Changes to the NFIP
- Benefits of Freeboard
- Carteret County Emergency Operations Plan
- Carteret County Flood Tips Brochure
- Coastal Flood Studies
- Coastal Flood Zones
- Coastal LIMWA
- FEMA 495 Adoption of FIRMs
- FEMA Elevation Certificate
- FEMA Non-Engineered Opening Guide
- Flood Study Update Carteret County
- Flood Zone Definitions
- Floodplain Mgmt Requirements in NC
- HFIAA Fact Sheet for Businesses
- Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014
- How Recent Legislative Changes Affect Flood Insurance
- Lowest Floor Guide
- Map Changes & Flood Insurance
- Pamlico Sound Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Policies for Buildings Newly Mapped Into Flood Zones
- Property Site Inventory
- FEMA Flood Map Service Center
- Carteret County Emergency Management
- Carteret County GIS Portal
- NC Flood Inundation Mapping and Alert Network
- NC Flood Resource Page
- National Flood Insurance Program
- National Flood Insurance Program Publications
- National Flood Insurance Program Technical Bulletins
- National Hurricane Center
- National Weather Service Newport/Morehead City Office
- FEMA Coastal Flood Risk Resources