INTRODUCTION TO CAREERS
Welcome to our careers page! Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with the Carteret County Sheriff's Office. Applications for deputy sheriff positions and detention officer positions may be picked up at the Carteret County Sheriff's Office located at 304 Craven Street, Beaufort, NC between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm. You may also download a copy to your computer by selecting Job Application.
The Carteret County Sheriff's Office is looking for qualified entry and lateral deputies to work in divisions ranging from patrol, criminal investigations, detention and the criminal and civil courtrooms. The duties of a deputy include assisting and protecting the citizens of Carteret County by enforcing laws, responding to and investigating reports of criminal activities and making arrests when required.
The Carteret County Sheriff's Office is a pro-active organization with unlimited growth opportunities for its employees to include supplementary training and rank advancement. If you're looking for an exciting career and wish to make a difference by serving your community, we welcome you to join our CCSO family.
- License: Valid North Carolina Motor Vehicle Operator's License at time of appointment.
- Education: Possession of a US high school diploma, G.E.D. equivalency. (Correspondence diplomas are not accepted by North Carolina Sheriffs' Training and Standards.
- Age: Must be 20 years of age or older at time of appointment. No maximum age.
- Citizenship: United States Citizen (or proof of naturalization).
- Shall not have committed, been charged or convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor in this or any other state or in any federal jurisdiction, or of any offense in any other state or in any federal jurisdiction, which would have been a felony if committed in this state.
- Shall not have committed, been charged or convicted of a Class B misdemeanor which occurred after the date of initial certification; or
- Shall not have committed, been charged or convicted of a Class B misdemeanor dated within the 5-year period of time prior to the date of appointment; or
- Shall not have committed, been charged or convicted with four or more Class B misdemeanors regardless of the date of commission or conviction; or
- Shall not have committed, been charged or convicted of an accumulation of four or more Class A misdemeanors, except the applicant may be certified if the last conviction or commission occurred more than 2 years prior to the date of appointment; or
- Shall not have committed, been charged or convicted of a combination of 4 or more Class A or Class B misdemeanors regardless of the date of commission or conviction.
- Be of Good Moral Character
- Medical Examination and Drug Test (conducted by our office).
Current North Carolina Justice Officers are encouraged to apply as lateral candidates. Lateral applicants may be hired at a higher step and receive bonuses depending on experience. Lateral applicants will need to complete the same process as entry-level applicants.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- An entry-level deputy sheriff is paid an hourly wage of $19.45
- An entry-level detention officer is paid an hourly wage of $17.31
- Advancement to the higher steps of the deputy sheriff salary range is in accordance with the County Salary Ordinance and the County Personnel Management Regulations.
After their first year, deputy sheriffs are eligible for an additional pay differential based on performance evaluations up to 3.5%.
- 2.5% POST Intermediate Certificate
- 5.0% POST Advanced Certificate
- 2.5% Associate's Degree
- 5.0% Bachelor's Degree
- Deputy Sheriffs work a variety of hours and shifts depending on the particular assignment, including 6/6, 8/5, and 2/2
- Time and a half is paid for approved overtime worked
Uniforms and Vehicle
- Deputy Sheriffs are provided uniforms annually.
- Deputy Sheriffs are provided a take home car within 15 miles of county line.
A credit union is available which offers systematic savings and loans at low-interest rates.
An average of thirteen (13) paid holidays per year.
Full-time employees accrue 10 days of paid vacation per year for years 0-2. From years 2-5 accrue 12 days per year. From years 5-10 an employee accrues 15 days a year. From years 10-15 accrue 18 days per year. From 15-20 years an employee accrues 21 days a year. From years 20+ accrue 24 days a year.
Twelve (12) working days sick leave are accumulated each year
- Credits are accumulated indefinitely
- Coverage is through Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Dependent and spouse coverage can be purchased
- Coverage is through Ameritas.
- Supplemental insurance coverage is available for employee, spouse, and children at additional cost.
North Carolina Government Employees Retirement System
- Employee is required to contribute 6% of salary
- County contributes 8.5% of salary for LEO
- Employee is vested after five (5) years of service
- Retirement has a built in death benefit for those employees who have been contributing to the Retirement System for one year or more. The amount paid to beneficiary is equal to the employee's annual salary (no less than $25,000 and not to exceed $50,000)
- Administered by Prudential
- County contributes 5% of salary for LEOB
- Employee may contribute as follows: Traditional, Roth, or a combination of both
- LEOB employees - up to 80% of gross salary or $18,500
- Employees over age 50 may contribute an additional $6,000 annually
- Employees also have the option to contribute to 457(b) plan
Group Life Insurance
- Coverage is through Standard Insurance Company
- County pays for employee coverage
- Amount of life insurance is $15,000
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment is $15,000
- Line of Duty Benefit 100% of AD&D to a maximum of $50,000
- Supplemental insurance coverage is available for employee, spouse and children at additional cost
Vision Insurance (Optional)
- Coverage through Community Eye Care
- Premium paid by employee
- Online and onsite wellness seminars, health screenings and disease management programs
Employee Assistance Program
- You, dependents, and all household members have access to Master's degree level clinicians 24/7 by phone, email, text, or chat to receive plan information, referrals for support groups, network counselors, and community resources.
National College Savings Program (Optional)
- North Carolina College Savings Program offers options you need to make real gains in saving towards a college education for your child, yourself, or someone else you care about.
Supplemental Insurance (Optional)
- The following supplemental insurances are available through Standard Insurance Company
- Medical Bridge
- Critical Illness
- Cancer Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- The following supplemental insurances are available through Allstate
- Short-term disability
- Ling-term disability
Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (Optional)
- Coverage through isolved benefit services
- A Flexible Benefits Plan to work in conjunction with other benefits to save tax dollars
- Maximum Annual Medical Contribution - $2,650
- Maximum Annual Dependent Care Contribution - $5,000
- Area Sports Centers that will allow you to join and have the membership dues deducted from your paycheck
Section 125 Cafeteria Plan
- The County operates certain benefits under this plan to provide Federal, State and FICA tax breaks to the employee. The following programs fall under this plan:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Medical Spending
- Childcare Spending
Photocopies of the following items must be included with your application:
- High School Diploma, GED or college transcripts
- If a Veteran, copy of DD-214 stating "Honorable Discharge"
- Proof of registration as required by Federal Military Service Act (males aged 18-26)
- Copy of North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Training Certificate and proof of passing State Certification Test (deputy sheriff applicants only)
- Any other applicable diplomas and/or certificates may be included
- Three (3) completed personal references
No applications will be accepted without all supporting documents.
If you are interested in a career in law enforcement and fell you can meet the challenge, you are encouraged to apply.
For further information or questions, please contact the Carteret County Sheriff's Office.
CARTERET COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
304 Craven Street
Beaufort, NC 28516
Carteret County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.