The process of obtaining a golf cart permit in Carteret County involves several steps. Below is a summary of the golf cart application process:
Step 1: Complete the Application
- Complete the Golf Cart Registration Application form from the county's website.
- Review the county ordinance related to golf cart usage to understand safety requirements and regulations.
Step 2: Submit Your Application
- Submit your completed application electronically through the county's website.
Step 3: Payment of Application Fee
- Submit the $25 application fee to the Carteret County Sheriff's Office. This fee can be mailed or submitted in person.
- Payments can be made in cash, money order or by cashier's check, payable to "Carteret County Sheriff's Office." NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Step 4: Scheduling the Inspection
- After submitting your application, it will be reviewed by the sheriff's office staff.
- If your application is approved, a deputy sheriff will contact you to schedule an inspection at the location where your golf cart is stored.
Step 5: Inspection and Permit Issuance
- On the scheduled date, a thorough inspection of your golf cart will be conducted to ensure compliance with county ordinance safety requirements.
- This inspection will verify the presence of required equipment such as a rear vision mirror, reflectors, and operational manufacturer safety features, among others.
- If your golf cart passes the inspection, the Carteret County Sheriff's Office (CCSO) will issue a permit/decal.
Golf Cart Fees
Golf Cart Inspection Fee (valid for one year): $25.00
The permit/decal should be prominently placed on the rear area of your golf cart as proof of compliance with county regulations.
It's important to follow these steps and adhere to the safety requirements to ensure responsible and safe golf cart usage within Carteret County. Make sure to keep the permit/decal visible on your golf cart to show compliance with county regulations.
- Golf Cart Permit Application (Online)
- Golf Cart Permit Application (.pdf)
- Golf Cart County Ordinance
- List of areas within unincorporated Carteret County where golf carts are allowed
- Establishment of Civil Process for Chapter 15 Section 38 of the Carteret County Ordinances
- Golf Cart Safety Inspection Form