We know that jury service places a burden on you and your busy lives. Serving as a juror is an important civic duty, as well as a privilege and responsibility. Those who serve as jurors have an opportunity to see the courts in action and actively participate in a fundamental democratic process. By serving jury duty you are participating in the administration of justice. There is no more valuable service that a citizen can perform in support of our democratic government than the good faith performance of jury duty.
Although jury summons are sent out from the Sheriff's Office, the names are randomly selected from the voter and driver license registration. Everyone is eligible to serve except the following:
- Persons under the age of 18
- Persons who have served within the previous two years
- Persons physically or mentally incompetent. A doctor's note must be attached to your request
- Persons 72 years of age or older are entitled to exemption for a good cause
- Non-resident of Carteret County